MARSHYANGDI (Five Days rapid grade 4+/5)
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge (Map)
Marsyangdi means ‘raging river’ in local dialect which is rises on the northern slopes of the Annapurna Himal, flows east through an arid valley around Manang and then swing south to join the Trisuli river at Mugling.
The Marshyangdi River rafting is one of the most outstanding grade IV Kayaking Rivers in the world which was only opened to rafting in 1996 and yields some of the most exciting class iv-v white water in Nepal. This river demands 100% Commitment from both crew and guide. It is totally different from the big volume rivers like the Sun Koshi and Karnali, the rapids are technical and require a very different approach. Big Volume Rivers need power and a good line, the Marsyangdi needs fast reactions from the crew to get through this pin ball machine river. The Marsyangdi quickly forges raft crews of complete strangers into true teams.
Located on the eastern side of the Annapurna circuit, the Marsyangdi River has long been famous for the beautiful views. With each twist and turn the steep sided gorge walls frame a new mountain backdrop.
Snaking its way beyond Manaslu & Annapurna through forests & traditional villages, it offers some breath taking scenery combining with glorious views and its fascinating natural surrounding and typical culture. With continuous, very challenging &committing adventure it makes for an incredible trip. Marshyangdi with steep & thrilling ride is a river that demands respect.
After breakfast, we leave by private bus to Besisahaar. The last four hours of this ride takes us off the "good" tarmac roads and tends to be a little bouncy in places ( I hope this is a subtle enough hint). We have scheduled a rest day into the program to allow for any unlikely but potential delays. That night we stay at a teahouse.
We start trekking for a couple of hours to Khudi where we make camp and sleep for the night. We will leave one of our staff to look after the campsite, then we will continue to trek for one hour more to Bulbule. Your expedition leader and guides will brief you and train you on land about safety and paddling. Pay attention as you are straight into the rapids and this river has a way of underlining any Mistakes! Overnight Khudi.
After breakfast, hike up to Nagdi with all the gears to the river put in point. This is the most knuckle gripping section of the river so enjoy it as you will encounter continuous Class 4 rapids. We finish today at Besisahar and have a well earned dinner no doubt a rum punch to help it down.
This is the day to relax, go walking and learn to roll in a kayak and have a day in this beautiful area, away from the crowds of trekkers. The only reason this day is lost is if there are any problems on day one as explained.
Day 05: The river becomes very mellow and goes through a high walled gorge with birds and vegetation that can only be described as breath taking. We reach our take out point at Bimal Nagar by lunch time where our transport is waiting to take us back to Kathmandu/Pokhara.
• Professional English speaking licensed guide & safety kayakers, highly trained safety team.
• International name brand ISO certified rafting & kayaking equipment including full personal outfitting from essential paddles, helmets & life jackets to dry tops, wetsuits, dry bags, pelican boxes
• Camping accommodation. We have top of the line camping equipment including toilet tents, shelters, personal tents, tarpaulins, mattresses, etc.
• 3 Meals a day. We provide fresh, delicious & hygienically prepared food while on the river, including tea, coffee & hot chocolate as well as drinking water
• Round trip private transportation
• River permits
• Industry standard first aid kits
• Unrelated transportation, visas, travel documents, departure taxes etc...
• Items of a personal nature (toiletries, clothing, camera etc)
• Alcohol and junk food
• Plastic bottled mineral water **we prefer to treat local stream water and help preserve our environment**
• Insurance **we provide insurance for our crew - but participants must be properly insured through an emergency medical travel plan**
• Photos **we may offer trip photography at a small additional cost - please inquire!**
• Tips for guides **if you feel that our crew did a great job, you are invited to offer a personal tip**